Are you getting pumped about the start of our Fall Detox next week? We are!
I want to give a little more information about the cleanse and what to expect.
First, this isn’t strictly a juice cleanse or fast. Although I support fasting and juice cleansing, based on Ayurveda practice, fall is a time for nourishing our bodies. We will be incorporating vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and certain grains. Our goal is to eliminate toxicity, build strong immune systems, correct digestive issues and become awakened and mindful. In Ayurvedic practice the overload of toxins in our bodies are referred to as ama, which in Sanskrit means ‘undigested’ or ‘that which harms or weakens.” Ama weakens the body physically and internally, allowing an environment for cold and flu viruses. It also slows us down mentally and can have a negative impact on our minds, causing mood swings, depression, anxiety and stress.
I am here for guidance, to answer any questions you may have and to give you helpful tips and support on naturally cleansing and releasing ama, or these excess toxins. If you feel that you need to incorporate certain foods that are not on the “foods to include” list, go ahead and listen to your body. This is about nourishing your body and feeling good, not depriving (except processed foods and sugars- the cravings will subside, I promise!) Our goal is to feed our bodies wholesome and nutrient-rich and nourishing foods, allowing us to feel energized and rejuvenated- mentally and physically.
At times your body may start to feel slightly sick during the first few days of the detox. This is because we are awakening the toxins we have been building up and storing in our cells from processed foods over time. During this process, the alkalizing properties of the vegetables and fruits help lift the toxins out of the cells. Once we awaken and lift the toxins, it is important to release them from our body, which is mainly through the skin and colon, along with other organs such as the liver and intestines. Some detox symptoms you may experience in the beginning stages are headaches, constipation, skin break outs, and/or tiredness. These will pass through proper elimination. We need to make sure we are properly flushing these toxins out. One way to help move the process forward is through saunas. Since an intense workout is not recommended when detoxing, a sauna helps to break a sweat and eliminate these toxins through the skin. Epsom salt baths are also great and help pull toxins from your skin as well. Your detox yoga classes from Nava Yoga Center will also help the process of elimination through gentle movements and classes geared to cleanse, restore, and renew internally.
Again, I will be giving you basic guidelines and helpful tips to lead you through the week of gentle detox. The smoothie you will be receiving daily is designed to replace your typical breakfast or lunch. This is meant to give your digestive system a rest and to give you a huge nutrient and vitamin boost through food that has already been broken down and easily absorbed. Each drink will contain a plant or nut- based protein source, ranging from vanilla hemp protein powder, to almonds and cashew butter. If you feel that you need more for breakfast or lunch than the smoothie, feel free to have some raw veggies, nuts, quinoa or brown rice, organic chicken or turkey, or anything on the approved list provided below.
Besides the naturally delicious, clean food we will be consuming next week, it is important to know what foods should be eliminated from your diet.
During this natural cleanse we want to eliminate the following:
- Processed foods- anything packaged!
- White sugars + flours
- Dairy: butter, cheese and dairy-based yogurt
- Drinks: alcohol, caffeine, soda
- Grains: wheat, barley, corn, rye, kamut and most oats (unless they are gluten-free brand)
- Animal Proteins: cold cuts, pork, beef, canned meat, shellfish, processed meats such as sausage and hot dogs
- Peanuts/peanut butter
Foods that may be included:
- Fruits and Vegetables: raw, roasted, steamed and juiced vegetables; diluted fresh veggie or fruit juice
- Dairy Substitutes: almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk
- Drinks: distilled or filtered water, room temperature water with fresh squeezed lemon (very helpful for detoxification), naturally decaffeinated herbal teas, cold pressed vegetable juices, my mineral broth
- Grains: brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, tapioca, buckwheat
- Oils: cold-pressed olive, flax, safflower, sesame, almond, sunflower, walnut, pumpkin
- Plant Proteins: legumes, peas, lentils
- Nuts and seeds (except peanuts)
- Condiments: vinegar (especially apple cider vinegar), fresh lemon, sea salt, pepper, all spices and herbs (herbs add a tremendous amount of flavor and are also micro-nutrient powerhouses that are easily absorbed by our bodies)
If you feel you need to add animal protein to your diet do it with fresh fish, steamed or baked or organic chicken or turkey.
These are basic guidelines for the Fall 5 Day detox next week. The hardest part is committing, but once you start feeling the positive affects a natural cleanse has on your body and mind, you will be so happy you did!
It’s not too late to sign up. Simply click here and scroll down to the “5 Day Detox” option. Once you sign up, make sure to check back on the blog for simple detox recipes and more tips. I also want to help you prepare for the detox. Check back soon for simple steps to help your body prepare for and easily transition into our detox.
Looking forward to working with you and embarking on this upcoming week of cleansing and renewing.