Whether you’re vegan, gluten-free, fully raw or just aiming to pack your diet with nutrient rich superfoods, you will surely love this healthy treat! I wanted to make this recipe more minimal and simple, so I used only Dates, Cacao, Coconut Oil and Coconut Shreds. The recipe could even be made without the coconut shreds, but they are a nice touch for the outside layer of the balls.Many people like to add almonds or cashews to the mix. Of course you can add more ingredients and experiment to your heart’s desire!
1 1/2 Tbsp. Cacao Powder
1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Coconut shreds
- Make sure to get pitted dates, or take the pits out yourself if you prefer.
- Place all of these ingredients into your food processor and blend.
- Blend until it becomes smooth & dough like.
- Take it out and roll into balls (any size you like!)
- You can roll them in the extra coconut shreds, or roll them in cacao for the outside coating.
Depending on how decadent you want them to be, you can experiment with the Cacao to Date ratio. In the ratio I listed above, they came out tasting like a gourmet dessert. If you always loved licking the brownie batter as a kid, then you might like to add more cacao! If you want them to taste more like a snack, you can add less cacao and more dates. Regardless of the amount you use, it recommended to consume no more than 40 grams or four teaspoons in a day.
The benefits of cacao are abundant. Containing the “bliss molecule” anandamide, cacao is a safe way to increase bliss and euphoria in your daily life! In fact, the name of the cacao tree is Theobroma, which comes from the greek roots Theo (God) and Broma (food) or “Food of the Gods”.
In a 1 oz. (28 gram) serving Cacao contains:
- Iron- 10% Daily Value
- Calcium- 4% Daily Value
- Fiber- 10g, 40% Daily Value
- Protein- 8g, 16% Daily Value
For some more detailed information on the benefits of cacao, you can visit Daily Superfood Love!