Do you feel a cold coming on? Everyone hates getting sick and let’s face it- none of us can afford to in our busy lives.
Here are some of my favorite preventative measures to avoid getting sick this fall and winter.
- Herbal teas such as lemon, lavender and bergamot enhance the production of infection fighting white blood cells, know as leukocytes. I drink them plain or add lemon, honey and/or ginger for added benefits. Echinacea is also a great tea for fighting colds and pumping up that immune system.
- Green, white or black tea, which contain large amounts of antioxidants.
- Lots of garlic! Supplements or raw. Garlic is a great immune booster as well as an anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal. It also contains a sulfuric compound called allicin which produces powerful antioxidants.
- Fennel and anise seeds- cook with anise seeds or steep in tea, eat fennel cooked or raw in salads. They are both natural expectorants, which hell clear congestion in the chest and soothe a cough.
- Make some of my mineral broth to sip in throughout the day. This really boosts immunity and enhances vitality as well.
..and then there is the obvious immune boosters and all around nutrient-dense foods like leafy greens and veggies. Also, carrots, sweet potatoes and other foods containing beta-carotene, which is eventually converted to Vitamin A are great for the immune system.
Be sure to get plenty of rest as well. Try to practice a few of these each day to stay healthy and avoid those annoying fall and winter sicknesses.